Cleaning Chemicals in Nursing Home Send Nine to Hospital With Respiratory Problems

At one Nursing Home Eight employees and one certified nursing assistant were hospitalized yesterday morning after another employee inadvertently mixed chemicals causing a release of noxious fumes. Around 9 a.m. a dietary assistant was in the cafeteria mixing chemicals for cleaning, and inadvertently created powerful fumes. The mixture caused the fumes to fill the first floor of the facility and several employees complained of respiratory problems, nausea and dizziness.

Administrators at the facility called 911 and first responders including the HAZMAT team arrived at the scene.  Six of the people affected are listed in good condition, while the other three are being treated in the minor treatment area of the emergency room, according to hospital spokespersons. Fortunately none of the nursing home's residents have displayed any symptoms associated with the fumes, according to the facilities director. For more, read the story.


Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.