Fire Prompts Evacuation at Virginia Nursing Home

Residents and staff of Bon Secours Maryview Nursing Care Center, in Suffolk, Virginia, were evacuated after an industrial dryer caught fire and caused heavy smoke yesterday morning. According to The Virginia-Pilot, no one was injured. One-hundred-and-twenty residents were evacuated along with 135 staff members after heavy smoke was seen throughout the maintenance wing of the facility.

Because of the large number of residents, five fire engines, a ladder truck, a rehab bus, two medic units, and a Mass Casualty Bus all responded to the call. Fortunately, the fire was contained to the area of origin and was quickly brought under control by the firefighters on scene. The facility was ventilated, and all residents and staff were allowed to return after only about twenty minutes. For more, read the story.

Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.