Nursing Home Director of Nursing Dies From Overdose on Stolen Pain Medication

According to a jury of coroners, a former nursing home employee died in April after unintentionally overdosing on painkillers that he stole from patients. The 41-year-old male died April 1 at the rehab and healthcare center, where he was director of nursing.

The man was found dead in a bathroom next to his office at the facility. After an autopsy it was determined that he died of a fentanyl (a strong pain medication) overdose. Police found a syringe in the man's sock filled with saline solution that had a fentanyl patch inside it. 

According to reports, the medicine came from a lock box used to store the medication's of dead patients or those whose prescriptions had been changed. The former director of nursing was on probation with the State Department of Professional Regulation for substance abuse at the time of his death. For more, read the story.


Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.