Nursing Home Fined After Improperly Inserting Patient's Feeding Tube

A nursing home has been fined $75,000 by state regulators following the death of a 78-year-old patient whose feeding tube was inserted incorrectly. The man was at the facility recovering from a stroke when he was admitted in July 2008, according to a report from the State Department of Public Health.

After the man's feeding tube was inserted incorrectly, he complained of abdominal pain and was taken to an emergency room. At the ER, doctors discovered that the lining of the man’s abdomen was inflamed and that he was having trouble breathing and was in septic shock. He died six days later at the hospital.

The facility Administrator has stated that they plan to appeal the fine. The facility currently has received two out of five stars in the federal Nursing Home Compare rating system. For more, read the story.


Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.