Nursing Home Fire Leaves Hundreds of Elderly Homeless

Over 400 nursing home patients are waiting to return to their rooms after the building caught fire in the morning hours. Officials with the fire department suspect that the fire was started when a resident's cigarette ignited a mattress on the sixth floor of the building around 1.a.m. Monday.

The vehicle was damages when the sprinkler system went off adding to the smoke damage. The building was closed and residents had to be transported to a temporary facility. Three residents and one employee of the home were hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

The hundreds of displaced patients are expected to stay at a nearby community center. The Red Cross has stepped in to provide food and blankets for the affected residents.  For more, read the story.


Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.