Nursing Home Ordered to Freeze Admissions Until Care is Improved

A government watchdog has identified a “serious risk” to residents and ordered a number of sanctions, including the appointment of an independent nursing supervisor at one nursing home. The Department of Health Care and Ageing has ordered that the facility will not be allowed to take new residents for six months.

The action comes after the daughter of an elderly resident claims her mother was assaulted with a serious bite on the hand by another resident. The daughter also claimed that nursing management had been openly hostile when she raised concerns about the care at the facility.

The sanctions are in force until October 8, when the department spokeswoman said there will be a further review. The spokesman for the facility said the sanctions related to mostly administrative shortcomings that had occurred there in the “recent past”. He said “no one’s been harmed, no one’s been injured” because of these identified shortcomings. For more, read the story.


Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.