Nursing Home Patient Chokes to Death

A nursing home is held responsible for the death of a patient that had swallowing difficulties and choked on food while out on a lunchtime outing accompanied by staff members. An 86 year old who disabled from stroke, died a day after the choking incident.

In a released report, investigators said staff members gave the patient noodles which also contained chunks of meat. Investigators also stated that staff failed to supervise the patient while she ate, despite a physician's order that the patient was not able to chew and should eat only soft foods.

According to reports, the staff members and a volunteer tried to dislodge the food in the patient’s throat when she began choking by performing the Heimlich maneuver which failed, and by the time paramedics arrived the patient was in full cardiac arrest. For more, read the story.


Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.