Nursing Home Patient Chokes to Death on Improperly Prepared Food

A long-term-care institution is accepting the blame for a disabled man's death after he choked on food that was not properly prepared. The facility has apologized for how staff handled a tray of food given to a 53-year-old partially paralyzed patient who in December choked to death on brussels sprouts that had not been ground to a purée.

The man's family say that they feel the system let them down. The family had placed the man in the facility after being seriously injured in 1988. The man was there to receive special care, including meal preparation and supervision.

The family considered a lawsuit against the facility, but decided against it. She said the family hopes that officials learn from the mistake. The chief executive officer for the facility said that as a result of the incident, kitchen staff at the facility have now added another safety check in the review of food served to patients. For more, read the story.



Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.