Nursing Home Patient Dies From Meatball Choking

A nursing home patient is dead after choking to death on a meatball. He was a cancer patient with seizure disorders making him at risk for dysphagia, or difficulty swallowing. A state review verified that medical records and treatment made the danger of choking very clear.

The patient’s diet orders called for a regular diet with thin liquids and meat cut up in small pieces. The nurse that brought his food the night he choked to death neither uncovered his tray to reveal what the food was, nor did she cut up the meatballs in his spaghetti. The home has been fined by the state for the death of a resident. For more, read the story. ____________________________________________________________________________

Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.