Nursing Home Resident Choked to Death After Being Given the Wrong Meal

The Department of Public Health in one state has fined a nursing home $100,000 after an elderly resident choked to death on his breakfast. The penalty, issued when the life or welfare of a resident is in immediate jeopardy, is the most severe fine that can be issued against a state.

According to the investigative report, a 61-year-old resident who was known to have food safety issues died after cramming two full pancakes and two sausage patties into his mouth at once. The resident had doctors orders stating that he was not to receive any food that was not first cut into small pieces. According to the report, the nurse admittedly failed to check the tray for the appropriate food before it was given to the resident. For more, read the story.


Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.