Nursing Home Resident Dies After Being Fed Dangerous Foods Against Doctor's Orders

A nursing home resident ordered to be on a soft-food diet choked to death in April after a nursing assistant failed to read the meal instructions and served the resident pieces of ham and a hard cookie, according to a state health inspection report.

Officials at the facility told state inspectors that they don't specifically instruct aides to check residents' dietary orders before meals because that is supposed to be part of the aides' certification training. The resident began coughing and choking during the meal after being given a large piece of meat, despite orders that stated all meat was to be ground.

Nurses administered abdominal thrusts and the Heimlich Maneuver several times. Unfortunately, the resident died before medics were able to reach the facility, the report states. The aide later told inspectors that she was unaware of the orders for a special diet to be given to the resident. The state health department fined the facility $615 in connection with the death. For more, read the story.



Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.