Nursing Home Resident Dies After Nurses Mis-read Prescription

A resident of one nursing home died after she was repeatedly given doses of potassium chloride that were 10 times the amount she had been prescribed, a state investigation has found.

State regulators blamed the deadly error on a nurse who misread the prescription.  The patent, 84, died of cardiac arrest last December after receiving 14 doses of the drug.  The accidental death raises questions about the poor penmanship and difficult-to-read prescriptions that are frequent in the medical community.

The doctor's handwritten order in this case that was misinterpreted by three employees at the nursing home, according to a report from the State Health Department. The pharmacist filling the prescription thought the dose was unusually high, and called the facility; a nurse there confirmed that the dosage was correct. For more, read the story.



Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.