Nursing Home Resident Dies Shortly After Receiving Ten Times Prescribed Dose of Medication

A state investigation has determined that an elderly nursing home resident in died following an overdose of prescribed anti-anxiety medication. Investigators found that the man was not given his crucial anxiety drug for 10 days -- then got 10 times the prescribed dosage all in one day.

State investigators concluded that the nursing home was to blame for the medication missteps that preceded the man's death. They noted that "26 omitted doses of the medication occurred with multiple employees over several days." The medication error was not discovered by the nursing home until two days after the man was found in his bed and a nurse noted that he "must have died in his sleep," the state report added.

It was originally thought that the man died from chronic lung disease, however a doctor investigated the man's death and determined that the over-medication could have been a factor.  The man's family claims they were not notified of the overdose until recently, and if family members had been told of the overdose, they would have requested an autopsy. "When you have no idea about that, you take their word for it," said the man's nephew.

The nursing home administrator, however,  said that she met with the family and told them about the medication errors. She also added that all employees involved in the medication errors were dismissed. For  more, read the story.

 


Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.