Nursing Home Residents Suffer Second and Third Degree Burns From Heaters too Close to Beds

A nursing home has been found negligent after a patient burned her foot on a heater next to her bed. She is the fifth nursing home resident in her state, who has been burned by such heaters in the last year.

The findings were contained in a report released Tuesday by the Department of Health. In all five instances, the state found negligence. In January, a hospice resident suffered second-degree burns on her calf after her leg came to rest on the heating element of a heater. The woman died that same day but her death was unrelated to the injury.

Also in January, a resident at a near-by facility suffered second- and third-degree burns after coming in contact with a radiator. He was taken to a hospital and died about a month later, although the report did not formally blame the burns for his death. In December, a resident of a third facility was burned on three fingers by a heat register that was just 1 inch from his bed.  

 These are just three of five reported nursing home residents who suffered second or third degree burns from heaters and radiators. All burns occurred in the same year in the same region and were found to be the result of caregiver negligence. For more, read the story.

 


Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.