Patient Dies Following Burns from Scalding Bath Water

A developmentally disabled patient of a state-licensed home died recently from complications caused by burns he received when an aide placed him in scalding bath water.  The burns covered the man's feet and required a month-long hospitalization before he died.  Prosecutors are considering whether to file charges against the aide.  Read more about the incident.

How painful must this man's last month of life must have been!  Burn injuries are horribly painful during the initial injury and during attempts to heal.  Burns occur in nursing homes and assisted living facilities because of scalding water in hand sinks, showers, and tubs, and from spills.  The temperature of the liquid, the amount of skin exposed, and the duration of exposure dictates the severity of a burn injury. Third-degree burns, like this man's probably were, penetrate the entire thickness of the skin and permanently destroy tissue.  The severity of this man's burns is rivaled only by how senseless the neglect of the facility's aide was.  If only she had taken a second to check the water temperature . . .    

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.