The Department of Social Services Tells How They Respond to Complaints at Long-Term Care Facilities

After an investigation revealed a series of violations at one assisted living facility, the Department of Social Services (DSS) has shed some light on its adult care monitoring process. DSS says it regularly monitors assisted living facilities, but it also investigates complaints.

If after investigation DSS finds that any of the residents' rights are violated, for example improper medication or care, DSS recommends a penalty for the violation. The state then takes the DSS recommendation into account and decides whether or not to impose a fine on the facility.

"I think the monetary funds that are imposed with the system are significantly lower than anything they should ever be," said a County DSS representative. "I think that any time you try to put a value to a life, it's wrong. And you should always be looking at quality of care and if the home should be providing that care, not whether they should be fined or not, but whether they should be open or closed."

To file a complaint about any long term care facility call the Department of Social Services in the facility's county and the complaint will be investigated by Adult Protected Services of the DSS. For more, read the story.


Robert W. Carter, Jr. is a Virginia attorney whose law practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of the victims of nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse in Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, Lynchburg, Danville, Charlottesville, and across Virginia.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.